Select Page
[adrotate group="1"]<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] -->

How fast were you clocked at?

Maine deals with each speeding ticket based on a chart for how fast over the speed limit you are going. You will pay the same amount for a speeding ticket regardless of where in the state you were at when you received the speeding ticket.

  • For 1 to 9 miles over the speed limit you will pay $119.
  • If you were speeding between 10 to 14 miles over the speed limit the amount increases to $137.
  • The fine for speeding 15 to 19 miles over the speed limit is $185.
  • It extends to as high as $263 for those going 25 to 29 miles over the speed limit.

There are additional fines for those who are ticketed in a school or construction zone. For example, the same 1 to 9 miles over the speed limit which in the earlier example cost you $119 will not be $228, almost double the amount. Speeding in a construction zone at that speed will also result in a $228 ticket.

How does the Maine points system work?

When you receive a driving citation or a ticket, you will receive a certain amount of points towards your driving record:

  • For 1 to 15 miles over the speeding limit, you have 4 points added.
  • For 15 to 30 miles per hour over the speeding limit, you will have 6 points added to your driving record.

There are specific rules and regulations based on when you are further penalized from driving.

  • If you accumulate 6 points you will receive a warning letter in the mail advising you of your driving record status.
  • If you accumulate 12 points in a 12 month period, you will be subject to a 15-day suspension of your license.
  • After your license has been suspended 3 times in a three-year period, you will be subject to a 120 day suspension of your license.

How can I get rid of the points on my driving record?

To get rid of the traffic points on your record there are a few things that you can do. First, the points from your traffic violation will be removed from your record after one year from the event of the citation. That means that if you drive safely, slowly and don’t receive any additional citations, you’ll have a clear record in only one year.

If you are worried about the points on your record, you can also take a driver’s education course. The state of Maine allows you to take a class to reduce the points on your record. You will receive a 3-point credit to your driving record if you take and successfully complete a driver improvement course which is approved by the Department of Public Safety. You are allowed to take this course one time per year. When your course completion date is one year old, the credit for the point reduction you received will also disappear from your driving record.

How do I pay for my ticket?

The entire state of Maine handles their ticketing in one central way with one central place. The state uses a system called PayTixx to allow people to pay for their ticket online. There is a delay from the time that you receive the ticket until the ticket is available to pay through the online system. That is because each ticket has to be manually entered by an employee.

You can also pay by mail at:

Violations Bureau
85 Park Street, P.O. Box 480
Lewiston, ME 04243-0480

You can also pay over the phone as well:

PayTixx: Toll Free 1-866-PAY-TIXX (729-8499)
Violations Bureau Telephone: (207) 783-5422
Fax: (207) 783-5465 TTY: 711 Maine Relay

You can also pay in person from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.

If you agree with the ticket, simply contact them to pay the fine through the mail, phone or online. If you do not agree to the ticket you’ll need to contact the court (typically in person) to contest it. You have 20 calendar days to file a written answer to your ticket. You need to send this to the Violations Bureau. You must either pay or respond to the ticket within the time stated on the ticket or your driving privledge will be suspended and additional costs will apply to reinstate it.

Do I have to appear in court?

For most tickets you do not need to appear in person unless you would like to pay in person. You can contact the court directly on the back of your citation to make arrangements with them to pay the ticket and/or associated fine online, over the phone or via mail.

I want to fight my ticket!

If you don’t agree with your ticket you have 20 calendar days to file a written answer to your ticket. You must submit this to the Violations Bureau. Each ticket may show up to three different violations. On the back of the citation, mark the contested boxes for each (up to three) of the violations. Then mark the not contested boxes for any violations that you are not fighting at this time. Do not forget to sign and date the ticket with your current mailing address provided. This will be the address that the Violations Bureau uses to communicate with you. It is not updated from any other government departments. Mail your answer to:

Violations Bureau
PO Box 480
Lewiston, ME 04243-0480

Only include the payment for violations (if any) that you are not contesting and want to pay.

If you don’t agree with the ticket and don’t want to handle it on your own, you may wish to have a traffic attorney to represent you. BernieSez can provide you with competitive bids from experienced lawyers to advise you. You can upload information about your case and then have local lawyers who are skilled traffic attorneys will contact you with quotes specific to your needs.  Tap or click the button below to get started.

[adrotate group="1"]<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] -->