Select Page
[adrotate banner="12"]

How much are Oklahoma speeding tickets?

The fees for speeding tickets vary by county and municipality in Oklahoma. If you want to know how much traffic tickets are, you may be able to find fine information on your local county, municipality, or court website. Keep in mind, however, that you’ll be fined in the county you were stopped in, not the county where you live. If you’ve been given a speeding ticket, you can see how much the fine is right on the citation. If there’s no printed fine amount, you are probably required to appear in court. If this is the case, you will see a box labeled “Must Appear” checked. In addition to the standard speeding fine, you’ll need to pay court costs and additional fees. In general, you can expect to pay at least $150-200 in total. These fines will be higher if you are caught speeding by more than 20 mph over the speed limit or if you are in a construction zone.

The Oklahoma point system

Like most states, Oklahoma has a point system for traffic violations. When you are convicted of a traffic violation, points will be added to your driving record. These points are reported to your insurance company, and your monthly rate will almost definitely increase once you receive points. If you are given a ticket for speeding by at least 10 mph, you will receive 2 points. However, if you are speeding by more than 25 mph over the limit, you’ll receive 3 points. You will not receive any points for speeding by less than 10 mph. Other traffic violations, such as failing to stop for a red light, will also result in points. This means that if you receive a ticket for multiple violations at once, the points can add up quickly.

Suspension at 10 points

In Oklahoma, if you reach 10 points on your driving record, your license will be suspended. The length of the suspension depends on how many times your license has been suspended in the past.

  • 1st suspension: 1 month
  • 2nd suspension: 3 months
  • 3rd suspension: 6 months
  • 4th suspension (or more): 12 months

If you have already had your license suspended once, it’s highly important to drive carefully. Otherwise, you could be facing very long suspensions.

Reinstating a suspended license

In order to reinstate your license after a suspension, you will need to serve out the term of the suspension and pay a $50 fee. If this is your 3rd suspension or more, your driving record will identify you as a “Chronic Violator.” Before you can have your license reinstated, you will have to complete an in-person interview with a hearing officer from the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety. They will then review your application for reinstatement. 

Clearing points from your record

For every 12 months you go without a violation, 2 points will be removed from your driving record. If you go 3 consecutive years without a single violation, all points will be removed, leaving you with a completely clean record. A clean record will result in lower insurance premiums, so driving carefully definitely pays off in Oklahoma!  You can also remove 2 points by attending a defensive driving course. There are a number of courses approved by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety (DPS), so make sure you choose one of these. They typically cost between $30 and $60, and you are allowed to take a course once every 2 years.

Deciding before the arraignment date

When you receive your speeding ticket, you will see an arraignment date listed on it. It is very important to decide on a plea before this date: guilty, not guilty, or no contest. If you plead guilty or no contest, you will need to pay the fine. If you decide to plead not guilty, you’ll need to appear in court. If you fail to pay the ticket or submit a plea before the arraignment date, the Oklahoma DPS may suspend your driver’s license and possibly issue a warrant for your arrest.

Pleading “not guilty” in court

The easiest way to resolve a speeding ticket is to pay it. However, this can have negative long-term consequences, namely points on your record and increased insurance premiums. Particularly if you believe you were unjustly ticketed, your best option may be to contest the ticket in court. To do this, you’ll need to appear in court on your scheduled court date. Then, you may be able to negotiate with the prosecution. Some drivers, for example, are able to get their ticket reduced to under 10 mph over the speed limit. In this case, you will still pay a fine, but you will not receive points on your record. If you and the prosecution do not reach an agreement, you can schedule a trial, where you will contest your ticket in front of a judge and jury.

Hiring a traffic attorney

Particularly if you go to trial, you may wish to hire a traffic attorney to represent you. An experienced attorney can significantly improve your chances of reducing the charges or having your ticket dismissed. If you are thinking of hiring an attorney, you can post a summary of your case for free on Bernie Sez. Oklahoma lawyers will then be able to browse through your listing and send you competitive quotes, enabling you to choose an excellent lawyer in your price range.

[adrotate banner="12"]