Select Page
[adrotate group="1"]<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] -->

Wyoming is a little complicated but it tries to NOT be complicated. In many states, you earn a certain amount of points for each type of ticket, speeding, etc., that you receive. When you reach certain thresholds of points, then you receive either a warning or a suspension.

Wyoming does things a little differently

In Wyoming, there is no point system to keep track of your moving violations. The state will allow you to have up to three moving violations (of any kind) in a 12 month period. After your third infraction, your driver’s license will be suspended.

Your moving violation could include:

  • Speeding
  • Running a red light
  • General accidents
  • Improper lane change

What is a traffic ticket going to cost you in Wyoming?

How much you are going to pay depends on where you got the ticket and from which department. The state of Wyoming has each court determine their costs. If you received a citation from the Teton County Circuit Court, which is one of the biggest courts due to cover Jackson (the popular tourist spot) then at least you have a few options to pay for your ticket.

How do I pay for my ticket?

Because each county or municipality each handles their ticketing, they also handle the payment. You’ll need to check on the back of your ticket to see where you can make the payment.

In Teton County, you can pay online at

You can pay in person during their normal business hours. They do not have change so you’ll need to bring the exact amount if you are paying in cash, or use Visa, Mastercard or Discover. They do not accept American Express or personal checks. Don’t forget to bring a copy of your ticket/citation with you. They are located at 180 South King Street in Jackson.

You can also pay by mail at Circuit Court, PO Box 2906, Jackson, WY 83001. Do not send cash to pay for your ticket but do include the citation (make a copy for yourself and send the original). Make out your cashier’s check or money order to Teton County Circuit Court.

Don’t forget – if you pay a ticket online, over the phone or in person you are agreeing that you are guilty of the traffic violation.

If you want to contest the charge, you need to contact the court at least one week before you are scheduled to appear in court and request a bench trial.

How much will I have to pay for my citation?

Here’s the nice thing! The citation will clearly list the bond amount due. Basically, that’s the fine you’ll need to pay (by the date determined on the citation) to keep your driving privilege. And sometimes your freedom – you are required to pay, even if you don’t agree. There may be additional court fees to pay online or over the phone. Those are typically going to be worth it so you don’t have to worry about your money order getting lost in the mail.

Do I have to appear in court, even if I agree with the citation?

Maybe. Check your ticket for the “must appear” box which is sometimes checked by the issuing officer. If that box is checked, you must appear in person to resolve the ticket. You can contact an attorney licensed in the State of Wyoming to assist you and represent you in this case.

If you do not appear or pay your fine by the required date stated on your citation, a warrant for your arrest will be issued and your license will be suspended.

What’s the difference between having your driver’s license suspended or revoked?

When you driver’s license is suspended, you are able to use your old driver’s license if it is still valid. When your driver’s license is revoked, it’s like you never had one. You’ll have to go through an investigation to be relicensed. Some infractions that will result in revocation are your third (or subsequent) DUI, leaving the scene of an accident where there was an injury, homicide with a vehicle, or a felony that is the result of the way you were driving.

How to reinstate your driver’s license when suspended

When your driver’s license is suspended and the suspension period is complete you can apply for reinstatement. You’ll need to pay at reinstatement fee of $50 which applies to all suspensions except for those who had their license suspended for non-payment of child support. For reinstatement of a license that is ONLY due to non-payment of child support, the fee is $5.

You can pay this fee in person at your local office. You can also pay by mail. Send your check, money order, or certified funds (no cash!) to:

WYDOT-Driver Services
5300 Bishop Blvd.
Cheyenne, WY 82009-3340

Make sure to include your full name and driver license number and/or date of birth on the check or money order.  You can also pay by phone when you call (307) 777-4800. Select option #7 to pay by credit card.

I want to fight my ticket!

If you don’t agree with your ticket, you’ll need to contact the court as soon as possible to schedule a hearing. Many times this must be submitted or scheduled in person. You’ll need your ticket and/or citation number to provide to the clerk.

Wyoming does not offer or give credit for driver’s safety courses

If you are looking to take a driving safety course to get rid of or erase a driving infraction from your record, you are out of luck. Wyoming does not endorse any driving school or give allowances to you on your record for completing the course.

BernieSez can provide you with competitive bids from experienced lawyers to advise you specifically on Wyoming traffic laws. These attorneys specialize in this area and can provide valuable information for you. You upload the information about your case and then Wyoming lawyers who are skilled traffic attorneys will contact you with information specific to your needs.  Click or tap the button below to get started.  It’s easy and free.

[adrotate group="1"]<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] -->